Sunday, June 11, 2006

Working on the Front Door




Today I tackled one of the bigger projects on my list while everyone else is gone. I expected to be farther along my list by now, but I took it easy this weekend for my birthday. Today I did some yardwork; trimming, mowing, and cutting away some brush. I found a little bit of poison ivy again this year and I'll remove it soon before it grows too much. Then I took advantage of the mild weather to work on the front door. It is a beautiful but oddly-shaped heavy wooden door, that would cost a lot to replace due to its non-standard shape. It is weathering with some cracks in the door and some worn wood on the threshold. Becky bought some Minwax heavy duty wood filler that I used to fill in the cracks. I'll let it harden and then I'll sand and paint it later this week. The door also has some beautiful metal hardware that used to be black, but the color has all worn off - so I painted that as well. Some of it I had to leave on the door, and some of it I could remove and paint separately. Of course I'll put it back on after I've painted the door.

No comments: