Saturday, June 17, 2006

Metroparks Happy Trails 5K


Today I ran my first 5K to benefit the Toledo Metroparks. I've been training for the Race for the Cure in September, but its almost all been on the treadmill. I needed to see how I would fare in an actual race, and this one was about halfway through my training. When I got there I got a timing chip that laced into my shoe that matched my race number which I pinned onto my shirt. The weather has been relatively mild all week, but today it warmed up. The race started at 9 AM so we still missed most of the day's heat. We started to a gunshot and I ran over a special mat that talked to the chip on my shoe and logged in my start time. I was listening to a mix of up tempo songs I had picked out to run to, though I let my iPod pick the order. I ran for one song and then walked for one, which really kept me moving. I started out way too fast and after my first running segment I was blowing hard - I started to doubt that I was going to finish. I backed off on the pace and kept going. I ran/walked my 1st mile in ~14 min, but the next 2 miles went by in about 16 min each. My final time was 47:13 which placed me 20th in my age group. The winner finished in 15:19. I learned a few things about myself which will help me in September. Time to get back on the treadmill - tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jason!!!! Mark and I are impressed and proud of you for doing this. We know it takes precious time away from your family and a lot of energy and effort. Keep up the good work and I know you'll decrease your time!Take care, Melinda