
I enjoy Cajun food, though I was surprised how hard it was for me to find it in Louisiana last October. I guess I had been spoiled by the cookbook Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen. My favorite recipes in there are a combo of a Jambalaya recipe and his recommended Creole Sauce. I usually make them together, so I decided to modify his recipes and combine them the way I usually make them. They have some common ingredients and so I do all of the prep work for both recipes ahead of time and put the ingredients into little bowls. Then when it is time to cook, I just line up the bowls and measuring cups and put them into the pot in order. The French call it mise en place and it sure makes cooking large multi-ingredient dishes easier. Some of the ingredients I leave in a big bowl, like the onions, and some I separate out for the 2 dishes, like the seasoning mixes. You can make this less spicy by cutting way back or eliminating the cayenne and even some of the black pepper, as well as the Tabasco sauce. As is, this dish will leave your lips and mouth burning a little - best cooled down with some sweet iced tea. Note the common ingredients in the seasoning mixes that can be divvied up at the same time.
Seasoning Mix #1 (for the Jamabalaya) - Mix together...
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
Seasoning Mix #2 (for the Creole Sauce) - Mix together...
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried basil
Dice 5 celery ribs, 1 large red bell pepper, and 2 medium onions, and place in separate bowls. Get 2 small bowls and put 1 Tbsp of minced garlic into one and 1 1/2 tsp (1/2 Tbsp) of it into the other. Open a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and pour half of it into another dish. Dice a medium tomato and divide it in half between your tomato dish and your tomato can. Open a 15 oz can of tomato sauce and put a little less than 1/2 cup into another dish and save the rest in the can. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of converted rice and set aside. Set aside 1 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp of Tabasco sauce (I use the chipotle kind). Divide up a 1 quart container of prepared chicken stock (or broth) by pouring 2 1/2 cups into a measuring cup, leaving the rest in the container. Slice 1/2 pound of smoked sausage in half lengthwise, then sliced the other way into small half-moons. Cut 1 1/2 chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks and put away your utensils and cutting board and wash your hands.
Turn on the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the smoked sausage in 2 Tbsp butter for 3 minutes in a large pot over high heat. Then add the chicken and cook till done - about 4 minutes. Add Seasoning Mix #1 and about 1/3 of your celery, bell pepper, and onion and the large bit of garlic and cook for 6 min, scaping the pot bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the 1/2 c. of tomato sauce and cook for 1 min. Stir in another 1/3 of the celery, bell pepper, onions, and one of the tomato dishes. Turn off the heat and add the rice and the measured chicken stock/broth and mix well. Transfer it to a large casserole dish and bake it uncovered for 1 hour.
Rinse any remaining rice out of the pot and melt another 4 Tbsp of butter over medium heat and add the rest of the tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic and Seasoning Mix #2. Saute' for 5 min, then add the rest of the stock/broth and tomato sauce along with the sugar and Tabasco. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer on low while the jambalaya finishes.
Let the jambalaya rest for 5 min, then serve it in a large bowl, topped with the Creole sauce. Don't forget the sweet tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment