I went in for my physical today. It went pretty well. No major surprises. My doctor asked about the things going on in my life, including my new
exercise program. We talked about my recent test results. My sugar was normal and my cholesterol was the lowest it had been in years. My HDL was lower than I would have liked, but it tends to improve with exercise, so I expect that it will be better with a little more time. She wants me to recheck it after the Race for the Cure in September to see if we're right. We had decided at my last physical that if I hadn't seen a big improvment in my cholesterol by the time I turned 35, then we would be considering medication. I was pushing the medication at the time. This time I was happy to put that thought on hold for a while. When I weighed in, I was not surprised to find out that I am the heaviest I have ever been. She told me that she'd rather have my BMI up a little bit with me eating healthy and exercising. I got my second and final hepatits A vaccination and was reminded that I'm overdue for the eye doctor. My next visit is in 6 months to talk more about my cholesterol and my weight. I realized at my last birthday, and again at New Year's (resolutions, you know) that I have a lot to live for and I'm going to have to get serious about my health to make sure I see my kids grow up and so I can get to meet their kids. The universe throws us some unexpected curves, so we might as well prepare for the storms we know are coming. And we should mix our metaphors whenever possible.
1 comment:
Hey Jason! Can you believe I'm doing whatever this is technically called besides typing 2 times in 1 day. I'm just so proud of myself!(smiling) Anyway, there's nothing like turning 30, which I've always considered "old" and being diagnosed with cancer, which I've also always considered an "old" disease, to change your perspective on life just a bit! I totally agree with you that you have a lot to live for. God has blessed you tremendously with a wonderful wife and 2 terrific boys...who are getting so good at giving "pounds" after 2 weeks of Uncle Mark's influence!(ha-ha) I think the blessing is that you know this NOW, as opposed to 30 years from now when you look back and start the "I wish I hads..." That is 1 blessing that I am thankful for through this whole cancer experience...God has given me an amazing family.(both biological and church family) And I'm reaping the benefits daily, the laughs from the kids, smiles and coos from Manning, hugs and kisses from Mark, etc. Anyway, enjoy your life and take care of it the best that you can and I think you'll continue to enjoy blessings from God. He's not done with you yet, or the rest of us for that matter! Love, Melinda
Post a Comment