Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Star Wars: Revenge of the Nerds

Ever since about 1977 I've wanted to be a Jedi. 30 years later I got to at least dress up like one. Susan, my mother-in-law, found some McCall's patterns that got her close which she modified to look like the uniform of Jedi Knight Obi-wan Kenobi. She and Becky found the belt and I picked up the light saber for $5 last year. The costume consisted of a dickie worn around the neck (and a plain white T-shirt), a long-sleeved tunic, shoulder armor pieces that hung down in front and back, and an obi (like a cumberbund). The belt was centered over the obi and the hooded cloak went on over it all. I wore some light-colored cargo pants and my brown hiking boots to complete the look. Becky rigged a couple of S-hooks for my light saber on the right and my stethescope on the left so I could work in it. It was a big hit at the office and my patients loved it - some more than others.
Two of my patients are Star Wars fans as well and got wind from my nurse that I would be dressed as a Jedi. They pulled together a Sith Lord and Stormtrooper costume and we had to have a duel in the hallway. I'm sure the video from that battle will never come back to haunt me. I enjoyed this so much, it will be my default costume for a while. It was the coolest costume I've ever worn, and didn't involve zombie make-up.

No comments: