We decided that we needed to spend the afternoon after sleeping on the Mudhens outfield in a shale quarry looking for fossils. We've never been in the 10 years we've lived here, until today.
Actually, Alex went as a part of a day camp field trip, so he was familiar with the routine. Every few weeks, they dump a load of shale here that dates back to the Devonian Era.
We spent a couple of hours sorting through the shale piles looking for fossils. I found that breaking open large rocks sometimes yielded promising results. Alex and Becky sorted through piles of rocks on a table. Aaron looked cute near other fossil hunters and they gave him some. Hey, it worked.
We mostly ended up with brachiopods - prehistoric clams basically. I found half a trilobite - fairly rare - but it got lost in the pile we brought home and I haven't seen it since. Oh well, another reason to go back.brachiopods, trilobite,
No comments:
Post a Comment