Saturday, July 21, 2007

Camping on the Bay

The evening at the campsite was much better than the day at the mucky beach. The weather was great and we mostly liked our campsite. We did have to be careful because the campsite was surrounded by poison ivy and about the farthest possible point from the bathroom. No wonder it was the only spot left in the campground. We actually only got the spot by reserving it for Saturday and Sunday night. We left after one night which effectively doubled the cost of the site, but since we've only camped once this year, it didn't matter that much. We roasted hot dogs and made s'mores for dinner.
After tucking the boys in, Becky and I sat by the fire for awhile until we burned up our wood. We heard a noise right behind us in the direction of the picnic table. We spun our flashlight around quickly and and caught a fat raccoon running off into the woods with a bag of our snacks. I chased him, hoping not to stumble in a patch of the poison ivy, and caught his trail. I found the bag he dropped and found he had grabbed a package of baby wipes too. I retrieved them from a disappointed raccoon and we discarded anything near the hole he made - something about raccoon spit I believe. Nothing like a little adventure to round off our camping trip. The groceries spent the night in the van.

No comments: