Friday, June 01, 2007

Center for Lessons Learned

Almost 7 years ago, I tried to remove the metal ring at the top of a glass olive oil bottle to prepare it for recycling. To do this I held the bottle in my left and and a paring knife in my right hand. I stuck the tip of the knife under the edge of the ring and pushed, attempting to break the aluminum ring free from the bottle. I accomplished this much easier than I expected, and the momentum of the knife plunged it into the side of my thumb on my left hand, causing a 1 inch wound that required 6 stitches to close.

The Army has a special department called the Center for Army Lessons Learned where they literally compile valuable lessons from the field and apply them to future missions. If I were following their example, you'd think that I would have resolved not to cut something with a sharp knife that is otherwise aimed at my other hand. You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.



Today I wanted to water the strip of grass between our driveway and the neighbors' yard, so I tried to cut a nozzle from a cardboard package in exactly the same way - and exactly the same thing happened. Almost. This time it was my index finger lacerated by the sharpest blade on my Leatherman multi-tool. Becky was picking Alex up from school, Aaron was upstairs napping, and I couldn't drive. The sides of the fingers are where the blood vessels run and this bled vigorously. I was in the garage and I made it to the kitchen sink in about 10 seconds. I got lightheaded from the pain and the sight of the rate of bleeding. After rinsing the wound, I wrapped a wad of paper towels around it and squeezed it tight. After about 8 minutes, I lifted the compress and the blood started pouring out again. I knew where this had to end up so I called my doctor's office and they could get me in. I called Becky and she hustled home and took me to get these 3 stitches.

When I did this seven years ago, I felt stupid for stabbing myself. I wasn't thinking. I'm extremely careful with sharp items at work, to avoid cutting a coworker, or sticking myself with a contaminated tool. My dad taught me how to use a knife. I'll be teaching the same thing to my children someday. I feel about 10 times worse today. I should have filed this under Lessons Learned. Hopefully I won't have to learn it again in 7 years.

No comments: