Monday, May 26, 2008

Hovercraft Fun



Chris pulled out a fun device that he built - a hovercraft. Seriously. I can't replicate it, but I think I got the general idea.  It is a piece of plywood that he covered in a blue tarp and used measured cuts and duct tape to shape the lower section into a skirt with an opening smaller than the base.  He cut a hole in the board and stuck the output end of an electric leaf blower into it.



When you turn it on it pushes air under the board and out the hole in the tarp, providing lift.  He push the boys around the driveway for a while.  He assured me that it would hold me and so I took a trip down the driveway as well, when I discover a serious design flaw - no brakes.  Chris chased me down and stopped me with a broomstick, that I realized he has used for this purpose before.  I don't think I'll try this at home, but it was cool to ride.

No comments: