Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Disaster Kit - The Blog

After the ice storm last month in Oklahoma, I've been thinking again about getting prepared for unforeseen emergencies. Mark and the cousins had to abandon the house for a night after their neighborhood lost power. I sent him some links to resources I had used to make some preparations. I realized that I had spent a lot of time thinking about this and putting together several emergency preparedness kits for personal use, for sheltering in the house during a blizzard or power outage, for getting stuck in the car during bad weather or a big traffic jam, and a portable 3 day kit for grabbing and bailing out of the house in the event of a disaster that damages the house. It has made me feel more secure, though I hope I'll never need most of it. I wanted to catalog what I was doing, and I can't seem to avoid wanting to share this stuff, so of course I decided to put it all into a blog. It is not meant to tell anyone what they need to do, but instead to get them thinking about emergency preparedness, and to catalog my specific efforts. I'm going to slowly add to it over time. I have a few posts over there already and will add more when I have time (sigh). Please check it out and comment at My Disaster Blog. There's a link to the right of this screen also that will get you there too.

No comments: