
Becky and I saw Thoroughly Modern Millie today as part of our Broadway Series. I would rate it as good, but not exceptional. The performers did a great job. The plot was like following two different movies. One was a tale of a girl who comes to Manhattan to make her fortune by marrying rich, only to find out that what she really needs is love, but she ends up falling for a rich guy in disguise anyway. The other story involved them thwarting a white slavery ring - and that plot line was the more entertaining one. I think it suffered most by comparison, because earlier in the season we were treated to another musical about a young woman trying to make her way through a confusing world and falling in love along the way - Hairspray - only that one was much better. I cared for the main character then, but the titular Millie here just seemed very shallow and I kinda hoped her love interest would realize it and move on. Next is Blast - a show Becky's mom turned us onto after seeing it on PBS. We have the DVD. It'll be great to see it live.
No comments:
Post a Comment