Saturday, February 25, 2006

Mom's Day at MVCDS


Every year at Alex's school they invite the parents to participate in a day of school with the kids. Last year Jason got to go for Dad's Day. This year I (Becky) got to go for Mom's Day. I have been waiting for a year and a half to have Mom's Day at school with Alex. I have been at school many times for field trips, Alex's birthday and preschool parties, but this was special, he didn't want me to leave his side all day (8:15 am - 3:00 pm). I got to see how he starts his day in class and he introduced me and I got to tell what I do for a living. I simply stated that I am the mom of Alex and Aaron and have started my own handmade jewelry business. Alex had to write in his journal about occupations and then we had to write 3 letters to people in the preschool (I wrote a special one for Alex) and mail them. Alex was assistant postmaster that day. They cancel the stamps and deliver the mail for the day. Our next task was to draw and color a 2 sided flag of our choosing (Alex wanted the American flag) to be used later.

Alex then had to go to "specials". First was gym. I saw him run and run playing tagging games. Next was art. I got to help him decorate his police car (their vehicles unit) that he had constructed. It was great fun. I also got to be surrogate mom for those kids who didn't have their moms there, due to work or visiting older siblings (that will be me in a couple of years). Then we headed back to the classroom to finish our work and then on to lunch. Friday is Papa John's Pizza day. We also had a fruit cup and carrots. Alex opened my milk carton and gave me a straw and napkin. He wanted me all to himself at our own table. We gobbled down our food and ran out to recess. We played hide and seek, jump rope, hopscotch and basketball. When we came back in we had "DEAR" time. That means Drop Everything And Read. Alex had brought in a book that he loves for me to read to him. He chose "I Will Always Love You", about a bear named Alex that breaks his mom's honey bowl and he worries if he does other bad things will she always love him. I knew he would choose that one.

Next all the kids (57) got their flags and went into the old auditorium (75 years old) single file for the preschool olympics procession. Then they had 3 events, bobsledding (using belly scooters),speed skating (using paper plates as skates) and hockey (spongey sticks and balls). Then for the closing ceremony, everyone got medal ribbons for their shirts and then the kids and moms did some ice dancing all together. We all had paper plates under our shoes. It was a hoot.

After that excitement Alex could choose an indoor activity or go back outside, so out we went. Before school let out we sat down in class and decorated a new art protfolio for Alex's work. There was a little closing meeting where we charted how many gold, silver and bronze medals the U.S.A. had earned to that point.

I will never forget our big day. Alex and the school made me feel very special.

No comments: